Field Programmable Gateway Array is what FPGA stands for. It is nothing but type of hardware circuit which can be programmed by an user for the purpose of carrying out multiple different types of logical operations. FPGA is nothing but an integrated circuit also known as ICs, which are essentially different sets of circuits placed on a chip. This is what makes up the array part of it. These arrays or circuits are different groups of programmable memory, logic gates and different other elements.
A standard chip, like the Intel Curie, is non-programmable. When you get one, that’s how it remains. No further modification or up gradation is possible. With the help of these chips, it is possible for the user to write different types of executable programs so that they can execute an array of different functions. The program can be deleted or even replaced; however the chip, which is the hardware part, remains unaltered.
When it comes to FPGA, no chip is involved. The hardware circuit is being programmed by the user. Different types of programming can be used like simple logic gate. Besides, different other kinds of complex functions can also be used. Together, it acts as a multi-core processor.
Why FPGA is the need of the Hour?
FPGA is the best option to use when optimization of a chip for a specific workload needs to be achieved, or there are certain changes which needs to be made to the chip. With the help of FPGA, an array of different things could be covered. It can be used for making of different types of equipment for graphical work to complex computer circuits. Besides, FPGAs are frequently used in the aerospace and military sectors.
What makes FPGA so special is the fact that it can be reprogrammed. This makes it a highly customized and flexible mechanism, which can be used to upgrade and modify different types of processes or applications.
What are the Advantages of using FPGA?
FPGA comes with a range of different types of benefits. Here is a brief insight into some of them.
- It offers better performance, as it adds to the level of efficiency and make things happen much faster than they used to be
- One of the major benefits of FPGA is the fact that it is programmable. It can be customized to execute various kinds of tasks.
- Another major benefit of FPGA is its cost effectiveness. It has proven to be very effective, when it comes to curtailing the production cost by a great extent.
- Performing multiple tasks at the same time, is another benefit which FPGA has to offer. FPGAs can be designed so that multiple block processing of data can be done simultaneously.
- When it comes to design cycles, FPGAs are much simpler as compared to its predecessors.
With the help of a custom FPGA board, various types of operations can be executed more quickly and effectively. Over all, FPGA has added a new dimension to the concept of automation.